Saturday, June 27, 2009

English Oral Day 6

Day 6:
Picture Discussion
This picture depicts a group of students at the sports stadium at a sports meet. In the foreground, there are four girls with their mouths wide open, probably cheering themselves hoarse for their team-mates participating in one of the items. One of them was even jumping in sheer ecstasy. I can tell that there is sports meet because I can see few athletes in the background. They are dressed in sports attire with a number tag at the back of their shirts. They look restless and energetic, probably waiting for their event to come. In the background, there are some students seated on the steps and some near the running track behind the girls. The spectators at the gallery are sparse and scattered. They are probably there to help friends look after their belongings. The small group of spectators at the track looks bored. They were probably forced to attend this meeting as it is compulsory.

Conversation

Q1:
I always thought being able to keep in touch with friends forever. However, I was wrong about this. When we part, we still keep in touch at first. At that time, we email each other. Then, we chat on msn. As time goes by, we lose contact because no one takes the initiative to keep in contact anymore. We are so busy with our homework, our school activities that we sort of forget each other till sometime later. When we meet again, we talk about the past, the present and maybe even plans for our future. Only then, did I realise that my friend was no longer the person I used to know. We are no longer the innocent little kids we were years ago when we were still playing ball games in the court or the assembly ground.

Q2:
I believe than nothing is impossible. If everyone is given an equal chance to learn the sport, given the same amount of coaching, they can probably do well in that sport. Juxtapose two players who are given the same amount of coaching. If one practices hard while the other slacks or laze around, even if this player is better than the other player, this player will lose to the other player because hard work pays off. It takes time to learn and master the skills of a sport. Do you think the champion can win a competition easily if he does not put in the effort to train hard and give in all his best during the competition? However, not everyone can be good in everything. If everyone is good in everything, there will be no need for teachers because parents can teach their children. There will be no need for repairman because everyone knows what to do when something spoils. There will be no need for almost everything. There will always be something you are good at that others are not good at. Just like I am better in Languages while my brother is better in Math, I am better in swimming and running while my brother is better at bowling. There will always be some differences. To say that men are better at sport than women is like saying that women are better than men academically. This is not something which has been proven. There are other points to take into account. For example, men have better stamina than female, which means that men usually do better than female because of different stamina.

No comments:

Post a Comment